:

:

Friday, January 7, 2011

The Bedroom



Finally finished. I've been working this one, on and off, probably since the spring. I'm crazy about the purple walls; it was such an intense color for me to put down on the canvas. The rug was also fun to paint...all those little dabs and swirls of color as they sweep across the floor. I alternated between working on it in the studio and in front of the motif. This was partly because of the inconvenience of setting everything up in our bedroom, but also, it gave me chance to see what was playing out on the canvas without being distracted by looking at the motif. As a result, it's a little more 'raw' than some of the other paintings I've done over the past year (like the looseness of the paint handling on the comforter)...I didn't want to over-cook it.

2011 will bring some exciting changes for me and my family. We plan on selling our house in Brooklyn this spring and re-locating to Charleston, SC. I have family there, and being 'done' with living in New York, we decided it would be a refreshing change. I'm excited about being a part of the flourishing art scene there, and I've fallen in love with the beauty of the city. So, my main focus over the next few months will be to prepare our house to sell and dealing with the logistics of our move. I hope to do some final paintings of Brooklyn in the Spring, and then ultimately to start anew in Charleston. Happy New Year!

1 comment:

  1. this is freakin' glorious! wow!

    charleston sounds wonderful, enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete