Friday, July 16, 2010
The Backyard (finished)
I finally finished up this painting last week (click here to see original post). I had started it in the spring, and worked on it over about 4 or 5, 3-hour sessions. The hydrangea flowers were painted at just the right time, in mid June, when they were really bright and crisp. I got it about 80% there, and finished the rest of it from memory in the studio. (The heat, mosquitoes and general change in the colors prevented me from finishing it up on site). It's usually a good idea to do anyway (painting away from the motif); it sort of frees you up and allows you to see the picture as it really is.